The Neuron xS series of extension modules is based on the Neuron PLC product line and represent a cheap and simple way to extend your automation network.
Extension modules are based on the Neuron S103 control unit, but lacks the Raspberry Pi computer, which was replaced by an additional I/O group. The module features its own processor, allowing it to operate independently on the master control unit in case of PLC's failure or software issues.
They do not have to be used exclusively with UniPi Neuron controller units. This comes in handy when different producer od PLC does not offer suitable extension modules or their purchasing too expensive.
Standard Neuron model overview
|Extension modules, size on DIN rail: 4 modules = 7 cm|
Extension modules communicate over Modbus. It is possible to connect them to the control unit via RS485 interface. Extension modules are compatible with any control unit supporting Modbus and having RS485 interface.
*Has integrated GPRS module for wireless communication.
- Neuron xS10, Neuron xS40 - architecture of these models is focused on a higher number of digital inputs (xS10) or relay outputs (xS40). Digital inputs are suitable for signal reading or collecting data from corresponding sensors. Relays can be then used for switching two-state external devices such as boilers, pumps or stronger external relays.
- Neuron xS30 - xS30 model is focused on a high number of digital inputs. It features 24 DI's which can read single-pulse signals (such as from digital switches or window magnetic contacts) or perform pulse counting to process data from flowmeters or energy meters.
- Neuron xS50 - the most universal extension model features all types of I/O's available on Neuron line models. Aside from above-mentioned digital inputs, the xS50 feature digital outputs suitable for sending single-pulse signals. Analog inputs can be used to perform accurate current, voltage or resistance measurements through corresponding sensors, while analog outputs can be used to control devices such as heat exchangers, three-way valves, thermoelectric valves etc.
Special functions and features
Neuron control units and extensions are equipped with a set of special functions. The most important of hose are:
- Direct Switch - an optional function allowing a shorter response time of the device - a direct reaction of output to a signal detected on a corresponding input. This feature allows local processing of the signal in the subprocessor without the necessity of master CPU (Raspberry Pi in controller unit). This feature is suitable for time-critical applications (e.g. lighting). xS10, xS30 and xS40 models does not support the Direct Switch functionality
- Custom default settings - a possibility to save a custom default setting to the internal memory of the device, which is loaded by Master Watchdog function, after a power outage or device reboot.
- Master Watchdog - an optional function which monitors communication between master CPU and local subprocessor in the device. If for the given time period no communication takes place, MWD loads default settings from the internal memory of the device.
- More about Neuron Architecture
Device addressing and DIP switch settings
Address of extension connected to Modbus channel can be set two ways - in software settings or manually via integrated DIP switch. Address length equals 4 bots and the address set on DIP switch is evaluated in preference to the one set in software settings. If the address on DIP switch is set to "0000", it is evaluated the address in software settings.
Detail of DIP switch for address settings
Our partsUniPi Neuron Extension xS10
Less than 20 items in stock
UniPi Neuron Extension xS30
More than 20 items in stock
UniPi Neuron Extension xS40
More than 20 items in stock
UniPi Neuron Extension xS50