UniPi Neuron is a product line of universal programmable logic controllers (PLC) designed for applications in smarthome, commercial buildings, light industry and other fields of automation. It represents a modular and highly flexible device, which can be also used as a gateway for other devices. Neuron is a product line of PLC units build to be universal and used in both Smart Home and Business applications and automation systems.
The Neuron is a product line of PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) units built to be universal and used in both Smart Home and Business applications and automation systems. It allows to locally and remotely control connected systems and devices over standard Input / Output and other interfaces. Neuron units control these devices based on a program set by the end user of installation company.
You can find out more information about use cases of features in the article about monitoring, Smart Home, and business improvement. Technical details (power supply, voltage and current range etc.) are further described in product documentation files.
As stated before, Neuron controller units are designed for universal use. Various systems or devices may be controlled over integrated interfaces according to the preset program or directly by the user over the user interface. The product is certified for these uses:
- Residential buildings, apartments
- Commercial areas, offices, banks
- Entertainment areas, cinemas, bars, pubs, dance clubs
- Outdoor places, gas stations, parking lots, sport centres
- Areas of light industry, workshops, laboratories, service centres
Basic types and model
Neuron control units are equipped with a holder for DIN rail (35 mm) for use in racks and distribution boxes. They come in three standard types which differ according to the number of modules they occupy in this rail:
- S (4 modules)
- M (8 modules)
- L (12 modules)
*1 module = 17.5 mm
Basic 8 models have along with the common features variable number of digital inputs (DI) and digital outputs. Digital outputs may be transistor outputs (referred as DO) or relay outputs (referred to as RO). The following table compares basic models' features.
Standard Neuron model overview
|Type S, size on DIN rail: 4 modules = 7 cm||1-Wire bus
Ethernet 10/100 Mb
4 × 1.2 GHz CPU
1 GB RAM
|Type M, size on DIN rail: 8 modules = 14 cm|
|Type L, size on DIN rail: 12 modules = 21 cm|
|Extension modules, size on DIN rail: 4 modules = 7 cm|
Extension modules communicate over Modbus. It is possible to connect them to the control unit via the RS485 interface. Extension modules are compatible with any control unit supporting Modbus and having an RS485 interface.
*Has integrated GPRS module for wireless communication.
What is inside
The whole product line is based on minicomputer Raspberry Pi 3, which serves as a master control unit of independent logically separated modules. These modules have their own processor and memory and are able to operate independently on RPi 3, nevertheless compared to RPi 3, they do not have such computing performance, network interface and the possibility of remote control and provide only limited functionality. The whole system of modules and RPi 3 is assembled into a properly grounded anodized aluminium case. The product has a degree of protection IP20.
You may find out more information about the Neuron product architecture in the technical intro.
Special features and functions
Compared to products of competition in the same class, Neuron units are equipped with a number of special functions. The most important of these are:
- Direct Switch - a possibility of direct reaction on output based on input value without the necessity of processing with RPi 3 - suitable for real-time applications.
- Custom default settings - a possibility of saving of custom settings and its automatic loading in case of reboot or power outage.
- Master Watchdog - a function monitoring the communication with RPi 3, which in a case of non-standard situation loads the stored default settings.
- Technical introduction - detailed technical description of the product and further description of its architecture.
- Product category - all Neuron products for immediate purchase in our e-shop.
- Extension modules - information about extension modules for systems controlled with Neuron.
- File downloads - All materials related to our products including Neuron can be found here.
For our products, we offer the possibility of B2B cooperation through OEM and partnership with local distributors and installation companies.
Our partsUniPi Neuron S103
UniPi Neuron M203
UniPi Neuron L203
More than 20 items in stock
UniPi Neuron M503
UniPi Neuron L503
More than 20 items in stock